SL360: Web output quality varies drastically

Hi, I've just uploaded a single interactive page I created in SL360 on my server.
the quality of the output varies massively according to what browser I use.
Great on Chrome, not very good on FireFox, and awful on IE.
The initial publish output format was html5/flash. I have tried to re-publish changing the format, and it did not make any difference.
Is this something others have experienced? And is there a way to work around this issue? Or worse...am I doing something completely wrong? :-)
I'm attaching the file here. Thanks in advance

16 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Jean-David,

There are some known inconsistencies between the browsers and how they handle different animations such as the wipe animation. You can see a bit more about that here.  The fonts for text entries or variable references won't be embedded so those will default to system or web fonts. Also if you share the .story file with another individual who doesn't have the same font installed we'll replace it with a standard system font.  We've also seen some instances where custom fonts won't appear when the server is blocking the WOFF font types.  

Hope that those things help clarify some of the differences in behavior and if you've got any other questions just let us know! 

Jean-David Rouah

Hi Ashley, thanks for your reply. I had a look at the article on how browsers handle animations, and the first line says: "All Storyline 360 animations and transitions work as expected in desktop versions of Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari."
That's where my problem is. I'm working on a desktop PC, windows 7, and when playing my SL360 file on Firefox or IE, the animations are jerky on FireFox, and literally ignored on IE.
The font issue is not really a problem, I'll work around that easily.

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Jean-David,

Sorry for the confusion from that statement, I was thinking specifically of the issue you mentioned in IE and I knew the masking animations wouldn't work as expected there. Within Firefox do you know if you were viewing the HTML5 or the Flash?  I can look into it a bit further in Firefox just to ensure we're talking about the same thing.

I had previously chatted with one of the Engineers about this (especially connected to the mobile output) and within Storyline 360 there was a change to the player technology that accounts for this difference than what you saw in Storyline 2. The change was based on using a newer technology that is more reliant on new browsers working the way they were designed. 

I hope that helps clarify and please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions. 

Jean-David Rouah

Hi Ashley, thanks for your reply, very helpful, as usual. :-)
So, when I first published my page, it was the html5/flash format...and after I noticed the dodgy animations, I re-published in flash/html5 format. I was hoping the file would display in flash. Nevertheless, the problems persisted.
My only question now would be if there is a plan to find a solution to this issue?

Jean-David Rouah

hi Pierre,
I just looked at my page source, and it doesn't look like it's playing in flash.
I need to keep trying different options. But it also looks like when Itry to piublish my courses now with story.html, as the root page, browsers literally do not play it. Only the story_html5.html seems to work now

Ashley Terwilliger

Hi Jean-David,

We're always looking at updating and enhancing our HTML5 support knowing it's the go forward for a lot of individuals and companies as Flash starts to fade away. The specific issue with the masking animations is also connected to how the browsers are handling this (for example Apple's release of iOS10 broke it completely and they've got a fix on their roadmap...no ETA) so we're continuing to evaluate how these types of things appear and work in Articulate products knowing what we currently know about the browsers in play as well.

As we continue to learn more and look at updates, we'll keep folks updated in the community!