Updating Existing Courses by Modifying the Template?
I have one question and one bug (?) notification, regarding use of templates:
Question: Having created a custom template, and then created courses based on that template, can I make changes to these existing courses by altering the .storytemplate file in the My Articulate Projects > Storyline Templates folder?
For example, if the template had a slide with blue text, and 5 courses that used this template display blue text, can I update the original template file to red text and have this reflected in the 5 existing courses? I've tested and it appears I can't.
If one can't do this, could someone kindly explain the relationship between templates and the courses that use them. I do know that the red text slide WILL now appear when I try to insert that page into an existing course from the updated template, but it won't update the existing blue text pages that were already created.
Bug(?): In testing above, I've noticed that if I change the template file, and try to add slides to an existing course from the template that was just updated, it adds an entirely new set of Slide Masters.
- I make a template.
- I make courses based on the template.
- I open the template from My Articulate Projects > Storyline Templates folder and make a minor change, such as text colour on a particular slide, but do not change name or location of template file.
- When I open an existing course (based on the template) and insert a new slide from the template, it not only adds the slide, but also an entirely new set of Slide Master pages.
- And this process repeats, as updates are made to the template file, resulting in dozens of Slide Masters.
- This, of course, is undesirable, for many reasons. The most serious issue is that you no longer have one set of Master pages that update all your slide pages but numerous sets of Master pages,which leads to a bit of a maintenance / updating nightmare.
Appreciate any feedback to the Question and the Bug. Perhaps 'm just misunderstanding.