Rise Closed Captions Not Working

Hello! I uploaded a video in Rise 360 that had closed captions created in Panopto, but there was no CC button on the video. I then uploaded a VTT file for it, and the CC button appeared but the captions did not when selected or deselected. I'm not sure which status is on/off. I added WEBVTT (per another discussion thread) to the beginning of the VTT file, but nothing changed.  I then realized that I needed to have .en.vtt in the name, so I added that and reuploaded.  Still no change. I've attached my VTT file if that helps.

Thanks for any assistance!

13 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Eileen!

I was able to get your VTT file to work in Rise 360 by making a few adjustments:

1. Delete the numeral above each time code (shown below in red)
  2. Replace the commas in each time code with a period (shown below in blue)

After making those changes, the VTT file should look like this:

The file I attached includes updates for the first 4 captions. Try uploading this to your Rise video and let me know if you can see the first 4 captions correctly. You'll want to continue those changes for the remaining captions in that file. 

Regina Kirby

Hello - I am having a similar issue as well with several videos included in a Rise course. The closed captioning icon (cc) does not always display when the videos are viewed within the Rise course that is published to our LMS.  I created the videos in a third party app which does not include closed captioning. Therefore, I added the videos to a Storyline 360 slide, where I created the closed captioning (.vtt file). These Storyline files where then added into the Rise course. The cc icon works as expected when reviewing in Storyline and Rise. However, when I publish the Rise course into our LMS (SCORM 2004) the closed captioning icon randomly appears and disappears when viewing the videos. I did review the WEBVTT file (per Alyssa's instructions above) and see that the settings are correct per her tip (the number does not appear for each caption and there is a period, not a comma, in the time code).  Also, this issue did not exist in previous versions of the Rise course.

Hazel Bartolome

Hi Regina! So sorry to hear you're having trouble with the closes captions when your Rise course is published to your LMS.  Would it be okay for you to share your Rise course and Storyline file with us so we can take a look at what's happening?  You can upload your files privately here and one of our technical support engineers will be glad to assist you.